In the United States, 69% of adults and 18% of children are either overweight or obese1. Seemingly countless weight loss programs exist.
The naturopathic physicians at the Vermont Naturopathic Clinic (VTNC) have seen many patients who seek to lose weight. While no single program is effective for every person to achieve a healthy weight, there are a number of characteristics shown to be effective:
- Nutrition recommendations
- Physical activity recommendations
- Sleep optimization
- Relaxation and stress management techniques
- Identifying and removing biochemical or other obstacles to weight loss
Weight loss for health gain is best done slowly and consistently. The goal is to maintain the weight loss for life. Whether you want to jump into a structured plan or make slow changes to your current lifestyle, the physicians at VTNC can help customize an approach that is right for you, taking your personal goals, health conditions, and dietary choices into account.
- “Health, United States, 2013: With Special Feature on Prescription Drugs”. National Center for Health Statistics. Hyattsville, MD. 2014.